Thursday 13 March 2014

Making A Change: Growing To Love The Gym

I'm back with a third update on my 'I'm going to be healthy' journey.  It's not a particularly inspirational one mind, as I am still over the weight I was when I started!  When I started way back in December, I weighed twelve stone.  Despite joining the gym before Christmas to limit the damage, I still ended up gaining five pounds which I was not exactly surprised over, but disappointed none the less.  To make things worse, I then had a week off work, and all efforts turned into a total binge week and I think at the end of the week I managed to weigh a pretty tidy twelve stone ten!


Since then, I have now lost six pounds and am now on the balance of weighing twelve stone four or five so I'm still classed as overweight.  I am currently aiming to go to the gym five times a week, and no less than four.  I am finally in the routine of going to the gym now, and it doesn't feel like such a chore anymore and is just part of my routine.  Liam always says to me that if you do something regularly ten times, you'll learn to love it and whilst I don't want to admit it, I think he might be right!

Recently, I've been finding it so hard to stay motivated to do anything.  I've been going to the gym, training hard, and eating averagely well but things aren't happening as quick as I would like.  How silly does that sound...I know that weight loss doesn't happen overnight, or even over the two weeks where I have been really expecting it.  I just thought I would have seen more changes having gone from doing no exercise, to exercising regularly.

Physical Living 

If you hate the gym as much as I do, I really recommend doing group exercise instead of roaming around the gym deciding what machine to go on next.  It's so much more interesting and, dare I say it, fun working out as part of a group.  My absolute favourites are the Body Combat and Fight FX classes, which involve punching and kicking routines with some pad and mitt work in!  I also take part in HIIT, VIPR, Kettlebell, Body Pump and Yoga classes every week Monday to Friday.  Everyone works together, and the class leaders are really motivational and enthusiastic about what they do, it's hard to not get into what you're doing.

I go to the gym alone every single time and it can be dauting stepping foot into a studio where everyone has come with their friend, especially when you have to do some group work - there has been more than one occasion where I've had to work with the class leader, but I always get the best workouts being paired up in that way!

Putting in all this effort and not losing any weight is definitely saddening.  But I have made a lifestyle change; as long as it comes off eventually, I don't care how long it takes.  Muscle also weighs more than fat does, so even though I have maintained my weight, I have in fact lost inches off my body.  A loss is a loss - don't get disappointed by the scales; keep track of your physical measurements!  Find something to work towards; my Dad is getting married in April, and I am planning a holiday for July so this will also help to keep me motivated!

What are your tips for staying motivated at the gym?  Do you prefer gym or home workouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment